Climate Impacts and Vulnerabilities - Research Domain 2
Why should we be concerned about climate change?
Climate change will affect all parts of society, with serious consequences at regional and global levels. We integrate climate impacts across sectors and scales in novel ways, including climate extremes, socio-economic damages and costs. We assess sector-specific adaptation options and explore synergies between adaptation, mitigation, and human development.
Our research goals are to:
- Assess climate change impacts, socio-economic effects, and uncertainties at different levels of global warming (1.5°C, 2°C, 3°C, 4°C),
- Aggregate multi-sector impacts and socio-economic costs at different spatial scales,
- Analyze societal risks and long-term growth effects related to changes in climate variability and extreme events,
- Explore transition dynamics and pathways of socio-economic systems, and understand city dynamics as drivers and solutions with respect to climate change,
- Contribute to the development of the Potsdam Integrated Assessment Modelling Framework (PIAM).