Research Domain III
Postfach 60 12 03
As a postdoctoral researcher at PIK Falko Ueckerdt works on various aspects of the integration of variable renewables (wind and solar PV) in the power systems. Hereby he contributes to answering the following questions:
- What are the major economic challenges of integrating wind and solar PV in power systems?
- What are the resulting integration costs? Which integration options (e.g. energy storage or demand-side management) can mitigate these costs?
- What is the role of variable renewables in global and national climate mitigation scenarios?
- What are the redistribution effects of policies like carbon pricing or renewable support schemes?
Falko Ueckerdt studied physics (diploma) and economics (minor subject) at the Humboldt University of Berlin and the University of Nairobi. He has been a contributing author to chapter 8 (on integration) of the Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation of the IPCC. Before PIK he worked in the field of policy and business consulting as an independent consultant and as an associate consultant for the Boston Consulting Group.
- Ueckerdt, Falko, Lion Hirth, Gunnar Luderer & Ottmar Edenhofer (2013): “System LCOE: What are the costs of variable renewables?”, Energy 63, 61-75.
- Ueckerdt, Falko, Brecha, Robert, Luderer, Gunnar: “Analyzing major challenges of wind and solar variability in power systems” (submitted). working paper available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=2403496.
- Ueckerdt, Falko, Müller, Simon, Hirth, Lion, Nicolosi, Marco: “Integration Costs and Marginal Value: Connecting two perspectives on the economics of variable renewables”. (submitted)
- Ueckerdt, Falko, Brecha, Robert, Luderer, Gunnar, Sullivan, Patrick, Schmid, Eva, Bauer, Nico, Böttger, Diana: “Representing power sector variability and the integration of variable renewables in long-term climate change mitigation scenarios: A novel modeling approach”. (submitted, working paper available here)
- Ueckerdt, F, Luderer, G, Müller-Hansen, F, (2013): "Analyse des Klimaschutzpotentials der Nutzung von erneuerbarem Wasserstoff und Methan". A study for the DVGW German Technical and Scientific Association for Gas and Water.
- Hirth, L, Ueckerdt, F, Edenhofer, O.: “Integration Costs and the Value of Wind Power: Thoughts on a valuation framework for variable renewable electricity sources”. (Forthcoming in Energy Policy)
- Hirth, L, Ueckerdt, F (2013): “Redistribution Effects of Energy and Climate Policy”, Energy Policy 62, 934-947.
- Hirth, L, Ueckerdt, F, Edenhofer, O. (2014): “Why Wind is not Coal: On the Economics of Electricity”, FEEM Working Paper 2014.039. (in review at The Energy Journal)
- Hirth, L, Ueckerdt, F (2013): "The Decreasing Market Value of Variable Renewables: Integration Options and Deadlocks", Transition to Renewable Energy Systems, 75-92.
- Edenhofer, Ottmar, Lion Hirth, Brigitte Knopf, Michael Pahle, Steffen Schloemer, Eva Schmid & Falko Ueckerdt (2013): “On the Economics of Renewable Energy Sources”, Energy Economics 40(S1), 12-23.
- Contributing author to the IPCC Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation. 2011. (Chapter 8: “Integration of Renewable Energy into Present and Future Energy Systems”)